Indianapolis 500 will not have fans in attendance
Indianapolis- In a swift and decisive manner, the committee for the Indianapolis 500 changed their stance with allowing fans at the race.
Last month the Indianapolis 500 was going to allow a limited number of fans to attend the race, but since cases have increased with the strains of COVID 19, the Indianapolis committee decided that fans were prohibited. “It is with great regret that we announce the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 will take place on Aug. 23 without fans. This tough decision was made following careful consideration and extensive consultation with state and city leadership," said the committee for Indianapolis 500.
“As dedicated as we were to run the race this year with 25 percent attendance at our large outdoor facility, even with meaningful and careful precautions implemented by the city and state, the COVID-19 trends in Marion County and Indiana have worsened. Since our June 26 announcement, the number of cases in Marion County has tripled while the positivity rate has doubled. We said from the beginning of the pandemic we would put the health and safety of our community first, and while hosting spectators at limited capacity with our robust plan in place was appropriate in late June, it is not the right path forward based on the current environment.
Since COVID cases have increased around the globe this year, fans have not been permitted to attend any sporting events, due to safety protocol. Individuals that purchased tickets for this years'race will be credited for the race in 2021.